String Section

All photos by Elisabet Davids and threeASFOUR

Last month I picked up a classic threeASFOUR circle bag at the Opening Ceremony Sample Sale, conjuring up old memories of how obsessed I had been with the design when it first appeared years ago (was it a decade ago, or more?). Recently, threeASFOUR has slipped off my mental radar, and I hadn't really looked at their collections for several seasons. Shame on me, as this fall collection is especially good. This season the eclectic design collective was inspired in large part by string instruments, which were incorporated into the clothes in the form of full violins and miniature harps, as well as plenty of strings, naturally.

I'm particularly obsessed with the bits and pieces they made in partnership with Bollinger Atelier, a family atelier that works with artists and sculptors to help realize their ideas. They created several of the showstopping pieces for threeASFOUR, including this functioning (!!!) harp belt, that was constructed with the help of a harp technician, and two shoulder pieces. The designs fluidly integrate art, music, and fashion, in a synesthetic way that only threeASFOUR could achieve.





-Tiffany