Stop Teasing Me So Bad

Bernhard Willhelm dress. All photos from Maryam Nassir Zadeh.

Not a day goes by without me asking myself why I'm not a millionaire already. I don't need a fancy car, a giant house, or a private jet. I don't even need many more things. I just would like to be able to afford all those gorgeous clothes I spend all day and night dreaming about but can never actually buy, the ones that feel like out-of-reach museum objects that are guarded jealously by boutique keepers who stare you down while you paw at their wares with dirty hands. Bernhard Willhelm's collections always embody everything I love, but cannot afford. Yesterday I received an email from Maryam Nassir Zadeh, one of my favorite stores on the Lower East Side, announcing the arrival of the latest collection, which might be my favorite yet. Melding his assymmetrical and off-kilter silhouettes with mesmerizing watercolor prints and over-saturated hues, it hit all the high notes that I look for in clothes these days, and the multi-colored poncho dress might be the gown of my dreams. Sadly, everything hovers around $1000, and like the grapes dangling over Tantalus, the clothes are out of my reach. When I do get around to winning the lottery/robbing a bank/whatever, this will be the first place I stop at for a shopping spree. In the meantime I will have to satisfy myself with staring at these photos and hoping that they jump off my computer screen and make their way to me.




-Tiffany