Venice Biennale 2011

The 54th International Art Exhibition of the Venice Biennale opened its doors in June and as every year it is being held (only in odd-numbered years), I went there for a couple days. I stayed in Chioggia, which is approximately 90 minutes away from Venice by boat (I know, it sounds like a lot) but I definitely prefer to stay outside, since Venice is too overcrowded for me. Chioggia is basically like little Venice with little to no tourists and very cute too. It was also very convenient to travel by boat as my hotel was right by the pier. This year, the Biennale was not as spectacular as in recent years but somewhat very focused nonetheless. It is directed by Swiss art historian and critic Bice Curiger. The exhibition is entitled ILLUMInations. Spreading over an area of over 10,000 square metres, the exhibition is divided into two parts called Giardini and Arsenale displaying 83 artists in total. The country pavilion that you see on some photos are based in the Giardini (garden/park). I put my favourites into the slideshow below and tried to write down the informations I remembered in the descriptions of the photos.