Altewai.Saome Spring 2012

All photos by Kristian Loveborg.



One of the most unexpected surprises of Stockholm Fashion Week was the Altewai.Saome show. In a bout of laziness, I had seriously considered skipping the show after the Cheap Monday show that took place directly before it ended late. I am so happy I opted to go rather than taking a nap. I had never heard of the brand before, and had no idea what to expect, but what I ended up seeing was one of the best shows of fashion week, and a total departure from the minimalist designs I'm accustomed to seeing from Swedish designers. The Malmo based duo of Natalia Altewai and Randa Saome got their start working at various Italian fashion houses, including Fendi, before deciding three seasons ago to work together on their own line.



For Spring 2012, the designers were inspired by the prototypical modern woman, who balances work and career with an active social life, and whose wardrobe is both sporty and sophisticated. The combination might not sound entirely new, but the interpretation was brilliant. Sculptural neoprene and perforated textiles cut in athletic silhouettes, layered with heavy embroidery and sequined embellishment. The clothes are meant to be versatile enough to wear both to work, and to a late night out, and while I don't know how work appropriate these clothes are, they are definitely feel quite perfect for the dancefloor or a good night out.



Perhaps most importantly, even though the clothes have the fine finishing of a luxury brand out of Paris or Milan, the prices are shockingly reasonable, and in line with the price points of their fellow Swedish designers. Even though the Altewai.Saome flagship store in Malmo was closed when I visited on a day trip to the city on Sunday, I longingly pressed my nose against the windowpane and saw that the majority of the store was 70% off. Somewhat distraught that I could not enter, I found that most of the items are still available on their online shop, and many of the incredible sales clothes are around $100 or even less. As soon as I have a proper postal address in Sweden, I will be ordering myself some new clothes.























-Tiffany